[fosscomm] Fwd: Re: [datameet] National Data Sharing and Accessibility Policy 2012 Approved

Vickram Crishna vvcrishna at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 00:51:35 PDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 9:34 PM, <jtd at mtnl.net.in> wrote:

> On Thursday 15 March 2012 16:23:59 Vickram Crishna wrote:
> > >
> > > Pranesh
> >
> > Is there clarity on 'ownership' of research documents produced in
> > Universities funded by the Government? Meaning, at the very least, for
> > research funded with government money.
>
> As per copyright law ownership will automatically rest with the author.
> Unless
> the university makes the author sign a cc-?? licence, I can see the above
> failing in court if an author chooses to prevent publication.
> However I am not at all sure of any copyright terms being attached to
> funding.

Much of the problem relating to Open Knowledge initiatives wrt scientific
research (paid for with public money) stems from the fact that
universities, where the research is carried out, and which provide the
research with implicit validation (not that the research is not
subsequently subjected to independent validation, if it happens to have
some impact), encourage, and in some cases virtually force, the author(s)
to publish in journals of scientific importance, most of which then claim
some sort of rights to the work, certainly to the extent that they
discourage the author from disseminating the report widely. So the author
ends up surrendering the copyright to the publication.

I am not sure if Pranesh's clarification covers this, precisely.

> --
> Rgds
> JTD

Vickram