[fosscomm] small step for ITEC; giant leap for IT employees

jtd at mtnl.net.in jtd at mtnl.net.in
Tue Mar 13 23:18:16 PDT 2012

On Wednesday 14 March 2012 04:43:46 A. Mani wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 2:26 AM,  <jtd at mtnl.net.in> wrote:
> >> 1) Hiring and firing at the employer's will is the best thing happened
> >> in the industry.
> >
> > Dont like terms find another job.
>
> That kind of attitude has already led to the ruin of the country as a
> whole. If the state cannot guarantee basic labour rights, then it will be
> for the workers to set the terms for work.

Rubbish. The work force you are talking of has far far more than basic rights.
And the problem is not because of gold collar worker rights, but equally
stupid past economic policies, some of which were corrected. The platinum
collared work force in our psus produced hot air, while getting monopoly
rights in their industry. The rest of the shirtless public worked their asses
off to feed these criminals. Yet we hear holy sermons from these overfed fat
cats.

Right now you have AIR INDIA, one of the worst airlines, sucking out money.
It's imminent "demise" has been abetted by some crooked decisions, but no way
could it have survived this far without state patronage and monopoly rights.

> These employees organisation
> should force their own version of 'terms of work'. Either the
> employers accept those terms or let them close down.

Precisely my point, but perhaps not what you have in mind, which is striking
work and preventing others less pandered from taking up their seats. If the
terms are so rotten, that company wont find competent employees and will
shut. In the past labour militancy (alongwith other parallel factors) led to
the shutdown of industry. But that was not a disaster, as industries moved to
better locations, and new industry with better working conditions replaced
them. For a shot while both labour and industrialists were playing holier
than thou, before economics forced better sense to prevail.

--
Rgds
JTD