[fosscomm] Spoken Tutorial Project - IIT Bombay, Interest in getting involved with you !

jtd at mtnl.net.in jtd at mtnl.net.in
Tue Oct 18 01:14:46 PDT 2011

On Tuesday 18 Oct 2011 13:05:19 Vivek Khurana wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 1:03 PM,  <jtd at mtnl.net.in> wrote:
> > Some company say wants to use it for commercial purposes. They are
> > taxpayers and part of their money was used to create this content. How
> > are you allowed to use public resources and profit from it while
> > preventing others  from doing so.
>
> Bah, you mean to say one should be allowed to make profits on the
> taxes paid ?

If one is allowed then everyone else should be allowed too.

> Then why do you need taxes in the first place. There are
> many things in the system which are made with public money, but you
> have to pay to use them. Public transport, museums, hospitals etc.

This is not digital content nor do they bear any resemblance to the service
under discussion. Stop confusing material goods and services with virtual
goods and services.

>  Also, how come IIT's are making profit from the content made with
> public money?

They licenced it to youtube (and others) as official distributors and I am
presuming that there is a commercial angle. I might be totally wrong here.

> Content is available for free to download and they are
> willing to ship the content on a DVD and only charging for shipping
> and handling...

The point is not about availability. It is about the terms of redistribution.