[fosscomm] IT returns form for OpenOffice

Terence Monteiro terence at deeproot.co.in
Sat Sep 19 02:07:49 PDT 2009

Dear fellow FOSS-enthusiasts,

I'm a FOSS lover and Perl hacker working for DeepRoot Linux. I've been
using GNU/Linux for some 8 years now. I'm a strong believer in the
philosophy of FOSS. Being a Perl hacker, I've also contributed a few
modules to CPAN.

Like many of you I've also suffered due to the preferential treatment of
our Income Tax department towards users of MS Excel. Celebrating
Independence day with my colleagues at DeepRoot Linux, we were
discussing about the sad state of affairs and what can be done about it.

We decided that the best way to show what freedom means to us was to go
ahead and migrate the spreadsheets to OpenOffice.org. Nothing would come
in the way, even the fact that it was past the last date for filing
returns. What better message to give the Income Tax department, we
thought, than a show of how much we are will to put on the line for
software freedom.

Today, as we celebrate Software Freedom Day, I'm pleased to announce
that the form 1 is ready for download at http://freedom-matters.in .
There is bug tracking id itr-forms-bugs AT freedom-matters.in for bugs
and feature requests. This has been tested with OOo version 2.4 and 3.0
and 3.1. I encourage all those who wish to try out the spreadsheet to do
so and give your bug reports and feedback.

--
Regards, Terence.
with Perl, there's more than one way to do it