[fosscomm] MHRD draft policy on ICTs in school education says 'Free and Open Source software should be preferred'

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Jul 28 22:29:19 PDT 2009

Gora Mohanty wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 22:14:39 +0530
> Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> We have 24 hours to go for the deadline. Pl comment in this
>> period if the draft as it stands can be sent to the HRD ministry
>> on behalf of FOSSCOMM.
>>

> One thing that could be added, but which I have not done
> at this point, is to ask for the addition of an item in
> Section 6, saying that content licensed under an open
> (specifically CC?) should be preferred.

that would be useful. Can we add something like the following in the
section 6.

"Developing, accessing and using digital content will preferably be done
in the public domain, or through open licenses like creative commons."

>> Please also indicate if anyone is willing to take this
>> responsibility.
>>
> [...]
>
> What responsibility are you referring to? Formatting the
> version on the Wiki, and sending it to the earlier
> mentioned email address? I can do this, but need some
> clarifications. Do we send text, PDF, or both? Is a
> physical letter also required?

Pdf too :) . Always useful to send a physical letter or at least a fax
as well, gets into the government files.

I am re-sending information earlier forwarded by Guru

email the FOSSCOMM representation to ictpolicy.edu at nic.in.

The email could also be copied to Mr Subhash Khuntia, Joint Secretary
MHRD; and also faxed to him.

Sh. S. C. Khuntia, Joint Secretary (SE), Room No. 217-C, D/o SE&L,. MHRD
... 23381096, e-mail: s.khuntia at nic.in. Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi, Tel.
No.: 23383226, 23070584 (Fax)

The letter shd also be addressed to SC Khuntia, Joint Sectretary (SE),
Ministry of Human Resource Development.

regards
parminder