[fosscomm] Microsoft wants to be part of UID proj : Bill Gates

vid vid at svaksha.com
Sun Jul 26 05:23:59 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 23:13, renuka prasad<renukaprasadb at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Microsoft wants to be part of the Unique Identification Authority of India
> (UIDAI) project," he said on Friday, Jul 24 at a joint event with Nasscom

If MS can fulfill #1 and #2 from this thread :
http://lists.fosscom.in/pipermail/network-fosscom.in/2009-June/000277.html
 ; they are welcome,

As for MS going opensource, Linus has a valid point :
http://www.osnews.com/story/21887/Linus_Microsoft_Hatred_Is_a_Disease_
I'm a big believer in "technology over politics". I don't care who it
comes from, as long as there are solid reasons for the code, and as
long as we don't have to worry about licensing etc issues. I may make
jokes about Microsoft at times, but at the same time, I think the
Microsoft hatred is a disease. I believe in open development, and that
very much involves not just making the source open, but also not
shutting other people and companies out. There are 'extremists' in the
free software world, but that's one major reason why I don't call what
I do 'free software' any more. I don't want to be associated with the
people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred." [/quote]

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 13:53, V. Sasi Kumar<sasi.fsf at gmail.com> wrote:

> What about writing a letter to UIDAI on using only Free Software for
> their purposes?

Letters are easier to ignore unlike a PIL (for libre software). As is,
unless the court grants a stay, this project will most likely not go
the libre software way :(

--
thanks
|| vid ||