[fosscomm] MHRD draft policy on ICTs in school education says 'Free and Open Source software should be preferred'

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jul 25 20:51:44 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I think that the FOSSCOMM group should develop a response/ position on
this draft policy. let us not underestimate the impact of a Govt Of
India 'ICTs in schools' policy on FOSS scene in India. And also not
underestimate how pro-active Microsoft must be on  this right now (also,
Bill Gates is in town and hobnobbing with the minister of education).

Trust Microsoft to provide some very well rounded text to replace the
one on open source software mentioned below - speaking about being open
to alternatives and competing models etc - which would be difficult to
resist if it comes with the kind of political backing that MS can muster.

Does anyone want to take up the task of framing a response from this group?

parminder