[fosscomm] Microsoft wants to be part of UID proj : Bill Gates

jtd jtd at mtnl.net.in
Sat Jul 25 01:38:13 PDT 2009

<renukaprasadb at gmail.com>wrote:
> > Microsoft wants to be part of UID proj: Bill Gates"Microsoft wants to be
> > part of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) project," he
> > said on Friday, Jul 24 at a joint event with Nasscom.
> >
> > Bill Gates is expected to meet the chairman of the UIDAI, Nandan Nilekani
> > to discuss a partnership.
>
> Why on this earth we have to partner with a moronic company to build the
> UID ?  When we can build metro rail system, how difficult it is to build a
> UID database ? Shame on NASSCOM for selling this country in every way
> possible.

Actually extremely difficult. Which is why you cant be within a mile of M$.
You need to have some biometric characteristic as part of the id generation
process.
And it must be very accurate - one in a few billion and very repeatable.
And this biometric characteristic must be field checkable.
And you have to have the entire tech chain secured yet easily accessible.

We are not even discussing the gaping holes in the registration process.

--
Rgds
JTD