[fosscomm] MHRD draft policy on ICTs in school education says 'Free and Open Source software should be preferred'

Guru गुरु guru at itforchange.net
Fri Jul 24 20:04:27 PDT 2009

Dear friends,

MHRD has released a new draft of the National Policy for ICTs in School
Education (NPISE) recently (see http://education.nic.in/secedu/ict.pdf).

This document is far better than the earlier one released in Jan 08 (see
http://itforchange.net/media/NPISE/policy_wkbook_with_comments.pdf for
the older policy draft). It clearly emphasises teacher professional
development, local content creation, universal access, teacher
pre-service and in-service training, ICT literacy as a precursor to ICT
enabled learning etc.

While the earlier policy draft did not have even a single mention of
FOSS, the current draft states in para 5.3.2 "Free ware, free and open
source software applications will be preferred".

I have written 'some overall comments' on the policy in a 1 pager (see
"Some overall comments on the NPISE 24.07.09 FOSSCOMM" attached). We
request comments and subsequent endorsement from FOSSCOMM on this note.
The last date for receiving comments is 29 July, hence I request your
comments and suggestions well before then, so that we can share the same
with MHRD. We can also write to MHRD at the email id given in the bottom
of the document.

Look forward to your comments/response at your earliest. Would request
Narendra  if he can put this up on the FOSSCOMM wiki as well

regards,
Guru
--
Gurumurthy Kasinathan