[fosscomm] Letter to e-Governance department, Government of Karnataka

Gora Mohanty gora at srijan.in
Thu Jul 23 12:31:29 PDT 2009

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:43:23 -0400
vid <vid at svaksha.com> wrote:
[...]
> Is it official because they (gov) wants some standardization --
> I'd imagine that _reliability_ goes for a toss, if, government
> issued birth certificates (or other similar official docus) in
> multiple fonts for different people.
[...]

This is the reason why Unicode came into existence. Any
Unicode-encoded document will have exactly the same storage
sequence, regardless of what font was used while creating it.
It is no longer necessary to mandate that documents be entered
in any one standard font.

The only good reason now for standardising on a font is aesthetics.

Regards,
Gora