[fosscomm] Letter to e-Governance department, Government of Karnataka

Gora Mohanty gora at srijan.in
Thu Jul 23 12:26:58 PDT 2009

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:59:05 +0530
vinay ವಿನಯ್ <vinay at itforchange.net> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> One of the key goals of FOSSCOMM was to be able to write to
> various departments/agencies relating to adoption of FOSS and to
> engage with the department and persuade them to adopt FOSS.

A revised version of the letter to the department is attached.
I made significant changes, but with Record Changes on, so that
one can view the exact changes made.

I was also going to redo the annexure, but realised that I do
not know enough about Nudi. So someone else will have to do it.
Some notes that might help:
o It is not an ASCII-based character encoding, which makes no
  sense for Kannada. Instead, one should say that it is a non-
  standardised encoding, which will lead to an incorrect display
  of a document created by Nudi on any standard, Unicode compliant
  system. Emphasise that Unicode is an open, international
  standard with commitment to it from open-source developers,
  proprietary companies, and is widely used by governing bodies
  like the European Union that need to deal with multiple, non-
  English languages.
o There are contradictions in the annexure: "Nudi editor provides
  saving in Unicode and Nudi engine provides inputting data in
  Unicode". If that were true, the software would be Unicode
  compatible. My guess is that Nudi claims that conversion to
  Unicode is possible, but this conversion is error prone.
  However, point 5 then claims that conversion to Unicode is
  not possible, which leaves me confused.
o It is a little harder to justify mandating OpenType, as this
  is an entirely different thing from the Unicode encoding.
  However, this can remain as it is.

Regards,
Gora

P.S. Forgot to mention this earlier, but could we adopt a
     workflow where the initial drafts of any letter from
     FOSSCOMM is on a Wiki. The problem with Open Office
     documents is that when many people are working on it,
     tracking changes is difficult, even when recording
     changes. Once a consensus is reached, the document can
     be formatted with any tool.