[fosscomm] Letter to e-Governance department, Government of Karnataka

Hari Prasad Nadig hpnadig at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 00:44:29 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 13:03 +0530, vinay ವಿನಯ್ wrote:

> Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> > On Wednesday 22 Jul 2009 8:59:05 pm vinay ವಿನಯ್ wrote:
> >
> >> One of the fundamental issues in Karnataka is that the 'official' font
> >> of the Government - Nudi, does not work (well) on GNU/Linux. This is
> >> preventing government departments/agencies from adopting FOSS.
> >>

> > actually the fundamental issue is again open standards in fonts or not. It is
> > not a question of Nudi, it is more a question of adoption of unicode - I do
> > not know whether the unicode standard for Kannada is correct, or messed up as
> > in Tamil.
> Hariprasad, Shivu - can you please comment on this?

> >  We need to focus on standardised fonts in open format - preferably
> > unicode which is a universal standard now. In such a case, we can be truly
> > platform neutral with regard to local language text editors. I see Gora has
> > also commented on this, and as he is far more qualified I leave the drafting to
> > him.

Presently several existing Kannada Unicode fonts are flawed. There are
no rendering issues with respect to Unicode on GNU/Linux apart from the
arkavattu issue that apparently has a fix in Unicode, but not
'implemented' (?) on certain rendering engines.
Check a draft page we did earlier:
http://dev.sampada.net/Kannada_Localization_TODO_List

There's not much content in there, but lists the priority work needed to
be done w.r.t Kannada.

Cheers,