[fosscomm] Letter to e-Governance department, Government of Karnataka

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Wed Jul 22 21:58:07 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 22 Jul 2009 8:59:05 pm vinay ವಿನಯ್ wrote:
> One of the fundamental issues in Karnataka is that the 'official' font
> of the Government - Nudi, does not work (well) on GNU/Linux. This is
> preventing government departments/agencies from adopting FOSS.

actually the fundamental issue is again open standards in fonts or not. It is
not a question of Nudi, it is more a question of adoption of unicode - I do
not know whether the unicode standard for Kannada is correct, or messed up as
in Tamil. We need to focus on standardised fonts in open format - preferably
unicode which is a universal standard now. In such a case, we can be truly
platform neutral with regard to local language text editors. I see Gora has
also commented on this, and as he is far more qualified I leave the drafting to
him.

I have also seen comments from MyLug that Kannada unicode is b0rked and does
not render properly. So do we have a viable alternative to Nudi in Kannada?
kg
http://lawgon.livejournal.com