[fosscomm] Proposal to add to Principles

jtd jtd at mtnl.net.in
Wed Jul 22 13:21:14 PDT 2009

On Thursday 23 July 2009, Mohit Singh wrote:
> >> There is a line which divides charity and business.
> >
> > Who is talking about charity.
>
> Thanks for writing this line, we can keep this for future quotations.
>
> > that is ancient history.
>
> history repeats itself so we should be prepared.
>
> > Absolutely nothing. So it's a businesses job to do business. I dont see
> > why we should be wasting our energies telling people how to do their
> > business.
>
> We should be just broadening and lengthening the road ahead for FOSS
> business. Surely, people know how to use it!

Just levelling the playing field is more than sufficient. FLOSS does not
distinguish between business / individuals/ educational use / research or
the 100 other subdivisions that closed software tries to propagate.

"Promoting" FLOSS businesses would require FOSSCOM to be an incubator.
Nothing wrong in that either, except that for the forseeable future FOSSCOM
would be very hard pressed just doing it's primary job of levelling the
playing field.

--
Rgds
JTD