[fosscomm] Letter to Secretary, DIT

justin joseph justinjoseph007 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 23:15:26 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Mohit Singh<gmohitsingh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> End of the day, its going to be the Political decision that matters.
>
> IMHO, FOSSCOMM has to stand to avoid this situation and to make the
> road clear beyond and above all politics.

"Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave
politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone."
       --RMS

IMHO the contradiction in this thread can be understood to some extend
from Richards M Stallmans answer:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/luispo-rms-interview.html

"That is exactly right. Someone once said it this way: open source is
a development methodology; free software is a political philosophy
 (or a social movement).

The open source movement focuses on convincing business that it can
profit by respecting the users' freedom to share and change
 software. We in the free software movement appreciate those efforts,
but we believe that there is a more important issue at stake: all
programmers [owe] an ethical obligation to respect those freedoms for
other people. Profit is not wrong in itself, but it can't justify
mistreating other people. "

FOSSCOMM has both the free and the open source worlds coming together
and this leads to some internal
contradictions the resolutions of which will depend on efforts towards
identifying common objectives and taking actions
on them which is happening to varying degrees here as is visible to a
regular archive reader.

Maybe in the long term our success will depend on how much we
collaborated than our individual contributions.

The contradictions might still remain, which should be fine.