[fosscomm] Proposal to add to Principles

Mohit Singh gmohitsingh at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 23:49:25 PDT 2009

No, for the former we don't need the latter as necessary condition.

> # Promotion of FOSS only software in syllabus from primary to higher
> education

This means establishing rapport with Board of Studies for FOSS
syllabus creation at university level as well as working with with the
Government bodies like AICTE, UGC and ministries(both central and
state)

> # Encouragement for student commitment and contribution to FOSS

This can better happen if students learn FOSS in syllabus. It is not
necessary that students follow what the syllabus has taught them, e.g.
they may opt for dot net and other avenues, in that case, we need to
establish rapport with student community (which is nothing but budding
professional community) separately.

The problem is that we see both these things as one. I have worked in
both. I have changed UPTU B.Tech. final year CS and IT labs to 100%
FOSS in 2007 and for last two years I have been working with student
community to better adopt FOSS based career avenues.

MS