[fosscomm] Proposal to add to Principles

Mohit Singh gmohitsingh at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 14:42:18 PDT 2009

> problem is to ensure that they stick around and continue contributing. I
> know couple of cases where the student was very active in FOSS domain while
> in college and disappeared without a trace on finding a job.

>  What I feel that somewhere FOSS is beig projected as a ladder to find big
> ticket jobs and once you land up in the job you can throw the ladder to
> /dev/null .

IMO there must be a declaration within the FOSS licenses for each
contributor regarding the commitment aspect and a process of handing
over the baton once a case of dropout comes into being.

Many projects are standstill since their stone ages because the
contributors have no more spare time for them. We cant 'poll' each
such soul but we can initiate a process in which all orphan ( or going
to be orphan) projects may see some light to be alive.

>  So may be FOSSCOMM should focus on working with student contributors to
> turn them into regular contributors.

This is another aspect of the same issue and it'd be nice and
challenging if FOSSCOMM initiates the gravity management support for
FOSS contributors.

MS