[fosscomm] [LONG] Re: FOSSCOMM APEX COMMITTEE

Mohit Singh gmohitsingh at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 10:23:45 PDT 2009

> I do share your concerns about forming a power cabal within this
> organisation, which is one of the reasons I asked for weekly reports
> from the Working Group.  However, at some stage we will have to
> implicitly place our trust in individuals who have access to information
> or resources that are denied to us, and hope and (if you're religious)
> pray that they do right by us.  In the meantime, maybe we should be
> spending time working on a system of checks and balances to prevent that
> trust from being mutated into power.  For myself, I can only judge
> people by their past actions, and from those I do have faith in a large
> number of the participants on this mailing list, who have time and again
> proven their dedication to the cause of free and open software and
> standards in visible and measurable ways.

IMHO such approaches will nicely lead us to convergence on the
organization issue.

Talk of Free/Open standards and a model nurturing that ecosystem is
incomplete without mentioning 'Internet Society' (www.isoc.org) which
has IETF for short term goals and IRTF for long term agenda. They
produce free standards for Internet and still their constituents are
mostly the non-free software companies like CISCO, JUNIPER, LUCENT
etc. They have a well established standardization system in which a
draft evolves from a proposal to Internet Standard track RFC.

FOSSCOMM deals more with people so I add some more organizational
inspirations we may consider - Linux Foundation and Linux Kernel
Project Management. Linus is termed as 'The Benevolent Dictator',
still his approach of 'cycles of trust' may be useful.

MS