[fosscomm] [LONG] Re: FOSSCOMM APEX COMMITTEE

Raj Mathur raju at linux-delhi.org
Sat Jul 18 05:55:15 PDT 2009

Since you asked, I continue to believe that openness and freedom in
source code and openness and freedom in dealings with possibly
underhanded tacticians cannot and must not be confused.  This is a
mistake that many people make, in a number of fields.  For instance, I
charge fairly high fees for my consulting in Linux and other FOSS
technologies.  A number of potential clients have asked essentially the
same question when hearing about my charges: "But how can you charge
such high fees for free software?" and I have to explain the difference
between keeping software free and giving away my time for free to them.

In a similar vein, I have been a member of the annual FSF Free Software
Award committee for 5 years or more, and none of the deliberations of
the committee (which also includes RMS, by the way) have ever been made
public; nor is there any initiative or proposal to make the public.
Confidentiality and secrecy exist at the very core of the organisation
that is possibly the most vocal proponent of freedom in software in the
world.

The principle behind free software is that software is a global
resource, and preventing access to software for personal gains is
unethical.  That is fine as far as it goes, and I'm probably one of the
more extreme proponents of freedom and openness in software in this
country.  However that openness does not and need not necessarily extend
to all my dealings with all individuals.  To take an extreme (but still
relevant) example, just because you believe in FOSS does not mean that
you perform your carnal lovemaking on Brigade Road where everyone can
see you.  In fact, you will find that FOSS enthusiasts are also probably
the biggest fans of personal privacy rights in any region.  Is that a
dichotomy?  I don't think so -- freedom in software is not directly
related to freedom in any other field of endeavour, since the objectives
of software freedom are very focussed: deprecation of creation of
artificial scarcities for purely personal gains.  The same concept can
also work in some related areas (e.g. pharmaceuticals, agriculture,
music, etc.), but not everywhere.  It is the concept that is to be
extended and adapted, not just the words "open" and "free".

Coming to the specific issue at hand, we can have a consensus that as a
group we will not entertain any confidential information from any well-
wisher, however useful that information may be to the cause at hand
(Open Standards).  That is certainly a valid point of view, and speaking
for myself I'd be glad to discuss that PoV (even if I don't agree with
it).  However, if we do decide that we are open to industry, government
and/or press tip-offs in confidence about our common adversaries'
strategy and tactics, then I completely disagree with both points you
have made: that we should break confidences other people have placed in
us, and that acceptance of information in confidence is crippling to our
cause.

I can visualise any number of scenarios where information is passed to
one of us in secret which we can act on but have to keep confidential.
For instance, a well-wisher in the DIT could let, say, Jaijit know that
a large company is planning to delay the whole ratification process and
in the meantime approaching the concerned politicians with promises of
personal or regional gain to completely scrap the report by the
committee and formulate a new committee that will come up with a more
proprietary-software-friendly report.  If we have that information we
could take steps to get the ratification process moving quickly and the
report accepted in principle so that $proprietary_software_company's
plans are scuttled at the outset itself.  I do not see how receiving
that information makes us impotent in any way; nor do I see any benefits
(while I do see lots of loss) from revealing the DIT contact's name to
the rest of the world.

I do share your concerns about forming a power cabal within this
organisation, which is one of the reasons I asked for weekly reports
from the Working Group.  However, at some stage we will have to
implicitly place our trust in individuals who have access to information
or resources that are denied to us, and hope and (if you're religious)
pray that they do right by us.  In the meantime, maybe we should be
spending time working on a system of checks and balances to prevent that
trust from being mutated into power.  For myself, I can only judge
people by their past actions, and from those I do have faith in a large
number of the participants on this mailing list, who have time and again
proven their dedication to the cause of free and open software and
standards in visible and measurable ways.

Regards,

-- Raj

--
Raj Mathur                raju at kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/