[fosscomm] email format (was

jtd jtd at mtnl.net.in
Wed Jul 15 23:25:59 PDT 2009

On Thursday 16 July 2009, Raj Mathur wrote:

> Educative, pro-active list etiquette: yes; forced etiquette: no.

That is why it's called guidelines and not rules.

Wasting scarce computing resources (a little out of being ignorant, but mostly
out of being lazy and or smug), while speaking about including a far wider
audience who do not have such resources seems quite illogical to me.

I presume the audience here will be people who are going to be affected by
e-governance projects, which means all Indian citizens.

Doing things correctly in the first place is a lot easier than stomping toes
to correct the mess later.

As others have pointed out public lists are quite completely different than
one on one personal mails. Mails like
Me: is this ok?
Bank official reply: yes.
 followed by 70 mail history AND
THIS MAIL IS CONFIDENTIAL PROPERTY OF XYZ BANK YAKYAK YAK (20 lines)
interleaved in every one word reply mail - in bright red html.

Quite sure the bank would save a couple of hundred crores on it's bandwidth
expense by following email etiquette.

--
Rgds
JTD