[fosscomm] Covering letter to FOSSCOMM position - for comments

jtd jtd at mtnl.net.in
Wed Jul 15 10:54:49 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 15 July 2009, Venkatesh Hariharan wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:21 PM, jtd<jtd at mtnl.net.in> wrote:

> >> I don't think this issue is discussed, except Kishore's assumption
> >> above.  Indeed KG did sign as an individual in the recent
> >> representation. So, there is no attempt to exclude individuals, and
> >> couldn't foresee any reason why people would support such move.
> >
> > Infact I see individual memberships and activism as far more important
> > than organisations.
>
> JTD, I beg to disagree. In areas like software patents, only
> organizations can make a difference because it requires a very
> prolonged and sustained effort to crack the system. Time, money,
> persistence, harnessing multiple skills (technical, legal etc)  are
> all required for this kind of an effort and that's best done by an
> organization, not individuals.

Indeed. There will always be some areas which are handled better by
corporates.

> Yes, individual memberships and activism is important, but that has
> its place while an organization has its own place. For long-term
> activities like software patents, FOSS in education etc, we will need
> to build institutions that will outlive individuals.

Right. That is why we need individuals to build those institutions.

I have no problem at all with having corporates as members. But at no point
should they be given more weightage than an individual.
Or be allowed to hijack agendas. Notice how every corporate is all gungho
about UID.

> Venky

Rgds
JTD