[fosscomm] Income tax e-filing is all about editing in MS-Excel?

Guru गुरु guru at itforchange.net
Wed Jul 15 03:39:01 PDT 2009

Shyam

co-incidentally, I sent a mail to the IT authorities on the same issue.
I can test if the ITR-1 will work with Open office as well. Can we take
this off-line (anyothers interested in this issue, pls join) and test
out the ITR and get IT site to allow ODS uploads as well

regards
Guru

Shyam | ശ്യാം കാരനാട്ട് | Karanattu wrote:
> Hi,
> May be this is a bit old issue, but I just saw it now, that the e-filing
> of income tax returns is all about filling things in MS-Excel.
> The site offers .xls files[1] with macros and all that, which has the
> specified forms of filing the data in MS-Excel. and uploading it.
>
> The ideal way to respond would be with the .ods files with all those
> things as in .xls . Now the .xls files are opening correctly on
> openoffice and hopefully it should be ok to convert it to .ods. But it
> would be great if some one familiar with the tax forms can check and
> make sure .ods too works fine. The site offers the schema too[2]. Even
> if we could convert those to .ods successfully, the government should be
> ready to accept the .ods files too. I haven't yet checked the whole
> process of efiling.
>

> Has this been on discussion before? the site is offering "Excel Utility"
> and "Pdf Utility" even for the Assessment year 2007-2008. Also i heard
> the last date for this year 09-10 is july end or so.. pretty late it
> seems.
>
> Moreover i see the "Pdf Utility" given there(for eg:[3]) is even
> un-viewable on all the pdf viewers i have. As i open it says to use a
> later version of adobe pdf viewer.
>
> Hope to know more about anything that can be done.
>

> Regards
> Shyam K
>

> [1]-- https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/individual_huf.do
> [2]-- https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/advanced_users.do
> [3]-- https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/downloads07-08/itr/ITR2_Version1.2.pdf

Gurumurthy Kasinathan
IT for Change
Tel:98454 37730
www.ITforChange.net
http://Public-Software.in
http://India.IS-Watch.net
http://IS-Watch.net
http://content-commons.in
*IT for Change is an NGO in Special Consultative Status with United
Nations’ Economic and Social Council*