[fosscomm] email format (was

Guru गुरु guru at itforchange.net
Wed Jul 15 03:12:57 PDT 2009

Dear Kenneth

It has not been so agreed.

In fact the first time you gave this suggestion to a posting of VidA,
she responded saying she did not agree. I quote that conversation below:

********
Your email:

Response from VidA:
On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 11:04 +0530, VidA wrote:

 > > Are you speaking for yourself or the group? Frankly, a lot less of the
 > > pedantic condescending tone (as is wont on most (Indian) Lug lists)
 > > would be most welcome. Thanks.
 > > || Vid || http://www.svaksha.com ||

********
Subsequently Sunil and I wrote, in substance agreeing with VidA. And in
your last word on this issue, you said "anyway, lets close this here as
the majority sentiment is in favour of such posts, so I won't object in
future"

I am sure there are good reasons for 'posting format' rules like top
line posting, news along with link, snip etc etc. for more efficient
communication etc. However these are not universal rules that govern
mailing lists.

Since one basic purpose of setting up FOSSCOMM is to extend the support
for FOSS to other groups, including people and organizations not
necessarily tech-savvy, I would propose that we be extremely relaxed on
emails - both in terms of actual format etc (I find it convenient to
have the information with the link so that I need not click on the link
and I favor posting over top of the mail that I am responding to) as
well as the substance of the mail (so long as it connects to FOSS). This
will help in getting more participation from new comers to the group and
the list and expanding/strengthening FOSSCOMM. I know I have said the
same thing many times earlier and apologise for the repetition.

Hence I request our more disciplined friends to put up with the 'lax'
methods of some of us in the interests of inclusion and try to avoid
suggesting formal posting rules etc.

thanks and regards,
Guru

--