[fosscomm] Members irked with Nasscom

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Wed Jul 15 02:14:52 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 15 Jul 2009 2:30:30 pm Venkatesh Hariharan wrote:
> > The problem with full pasting is that it increases the noise on the list,
> > pollutes the internet with unnecessary garbage and contributes to global
> > warming.
> >
> :-) you have a way with words, but I prefer to see the full text
>
> because it enables me to scan through the whole article quickly
> without having to invoke the browser. For the same reason, I usually
> hate attachments in my mail.

mail is something usually involving 2 individuals - etiquette of mail is
something very different from the etiquette of mailing lists which is something
involving many, sometimes 10s of thousands of individuals. Consequently the
rules of etiquette are very different. For example in an individual mail
exchange, I always top post and never trim the post - because these mails are
not archived anywhere and trimming posts leads to loss of content. Interleaved
posts create an unholy mess. In mailing lists the mails are archived and
therefore there is no need to leave unnecessary stuff there. No doubt you may
have personal preferences, but the rules governing mailing lists have evolved
over time and reflect the greatest good for the greatest number - so at times
we have to sacrifice our personal preferences for the sake of the list. Like I
have driven on the left of the road my whole life - but most probably would
not do so in the unlikely event of my visiting the US.
Kenneth Gonsalves
Associate
NRC-FOSS
http://nrcfosshelpline.in/web/