[fosscomm] Covering letter to FOSSCOMM position - for comments

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 01:00:00 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Venkatesh Hariharan<venkyh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:21 PM, jtd<jtd at mtnl.net.in> wrote:

>>> I don't think this issue is discussed, except Kishore's assumption
>>> above.  Indeed KG did sign as an individual in the recent
>>> representation. So, there is no attempt to exclude individuals, and
>>> couldn't foresee any reason why people would support such move.
>>
>> Infact I see individual memberships and activism as far more important than
>> organisations.
>
> JTD, I beg to disagree. In areas like software patents, only
> organizations can make a difference because it requires a very
> prolonged and sustained effort to crack the system. Time, money,
> persistence, harnessing multiple skills (technical, legal etc)  are
> all required for this kind of an effort and that's best done by an
> organization, not individuals.
>
> Yes, individual memberships and activism is important, but that has
> its place while an organization has its own place. For long-term
> activities like software patents, FOSS in education etc, we will need
> to build institutions that will outlive individuals.

We need Individuals and Organisations for the growth of this FOSS eco
system. At the same time ensuring Space for Individuals s very
important .

Lets work on Membership policies first.  Kenneth, I believe we dont
need a CMP and we dont need to avoid issues like Software patents.
What we needed is the ground principles for work & membership. keep
the option of areas we are going to work open . That opens the space
for taking up various causes forward.

Anivar

--
"The resources of the world are for us all to share. Let us affirm our
faith in that common cause" - Dr. Ilina Sen