[fosscomm] Members irked with Nasscom

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Wed Jul 15 00:49:39 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 15 Jul 2009 1:14:42 pm Venkatesh Hariharan wrote:
> Pranesh, since you are a lawyer, can you answer one question that's
> always bothered me (and is important for all of us on mailing lists to
> know)?
>
> Q. Is pasting the full text of an article, violation of copyright?

depends on the license. If it has a license. Most websites have something
tucked away somewhere. But the general rule is pasting excerpts for comment,
illustration, attribution etc is ok, but not the whole work. Other people are
ok with the whole work as long as attribution is there. Check the small print.
The problem with full pasting is that it increases the noise on the list,
pollutes the internet with unnecessary garbage and contributes to global
warming.
Kenneth Gonsalves
Associate
NRC-FOSS