[fosscomm] Redmond Codelifter all set to enter FOSSCOMM?

vid vid at svaksha.com
Tue Jul 14 20:33:35 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 01:49, Gora Mohanty<gora at srijan.in> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 00:20:28 +0530
> Mohit Singh <gmohitsingh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have said it earlier and this is my second reminder that the
>> Redmond Codelifter has started 'open source' and can very well be
>> on this mailing list with full right to be here! PLEASE draft a
>> policy to keep it out or stop bashing it!

Isnt that what freedom is all about !? On a more serious note, there
was a thread on CMP for fosscomm.in, so it would be easier to track
our progress if everyone added their thoughts here :
http://lists.fosscom.in/pipermail/network-fosscom.in/2009-June/000296.html

>> Oracle is ready with 'shared source' . Can we stop it too?
>> Tomorrow these kind of people will ask for their share in
>> FOSSCOMM and other bodies too!
>
> Whom to admit, and whom to keep out of FOSSCOMM is a matter
> of consensus amongst the group, and yes, it is something that
> we should define. One possibility is stating that we are open
> to organisations/individuals having a significant involvement
> in FOSS, with the final right of admission reserved to a vote/
> consensus among existing members. Of course, this applies only
> after the initial formation of FOSSCOMM.

If a formal body is going to be formed for fosscomm.in, imho, it needs
to have a foundation[1] - see #1 and #2, whence proceeding with the
latter without a consensus on the former is tantamount to going around
in circles.

[1] http://lists.fosscom.in/pipermail/network-fosscom.in/2009-June/000275.html

> However, once we have defined an admission policy, in my
> opinion, anyone meeting the criteria has to be allowed in, i.e.,
> we cannot say that we will not let in XYZ because we do not
> like their face,

True, its very hard to define every criteria in B&W and there is the
possibility of caveats not working to the advantage of Libre software
and fosscomm.in
That said,  we still need to chalk a middle path of keeping the
disruptive elements out and floss flowing ahead. How we (this group,
so to speak) achieve that would define fosscomm's future.

--
thanks
|| vid || http://www.svaksha.com ||