[fosscomm] Redmond Codelifter all set to enter FOSSCOMM?

Gora Mohanty gora at srijan.in
Tue Jul 14 13:19:36 PDT 2009

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 00:20:28 +0530
Mohit Singh <gmohitsingh at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have said it earlier and this is my second reminder that the
> Redmond Codelifter has started 'open source' and can very well be
> on this mailing list with full right to be here! PLEASE draft a
> policy to keep it out or stop bashing it!
>
> Oracle is ready with 'shared source' . Can we stop it too?
> Tomorrow these kind of people will ask for their share in
> FOSSCOMM and other bodies too!

Whom to admit, and whom to keep out of FOSSCOMM is a matter
of consensus amongst the group, and yes, it is something that
we should define. One possibility is stating that we are open
to organisations/individuals having a significant involvement
in FOSS, with the final right of admission reserved to a vote/
consensus among existing members. Of course, this applies only
after the initial formation of FOSSCOMM.

However, once we have defined an admission policy, in my
opinion, anyone meeting the criteria has to be allowed in, i.e.,
we cannot say that we will not let in XYZ because we do not
like their face,

[...]
> This looks like East India Company opening its installations and
> the sultanate of Hindustan behaving as if it is ignorant (or want
> to be so).

As with many other mails on this list, can we please cut out the
hyperbole? Likewise, juvenile epithets such as "Redmond Codelifter"
serve little purpose, in my opinion.

Regards,
Gora