[fosscomm] Chrome OS Could Offend the Open Source Community

jtd jtd at mtnl.net.in
Mon Jul 13 23:03:06 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 14 July 2009, Praveen A wrote:
> 2009/7/13 Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org>:
> >>
> >> List moderator could you ban this spammer.
> >
> > +1
>
> I don't believe this post needs such responses. At the best it dilutes
> our focus,

If anything continuation of such spam posts dilutes the focus. Nipping it in
the bud will maintain proper focus. Given the volume and seriousness of
posts, at least I am forced to follow every link.

> and that brings me to the need of a posting guidelines for
> our list. With suggestions from many in earlier posts about being
> inclusive I would propose much less strict rules from a typical user
> group rules. I would want it to be guidelines and not rule - we can
> remind one or two times, but that alone should not be reasons to ban.
> Also considering many are new to mailing lists, I pospose we let
> people make more mistakes for members new to list.

Let every one have fun, and make it a habit. Then  at a later date we decide
on rules. Neat.
Such a policy is going to tax everyones patience.
Being inclusive does not mean being lax.

> I believe moderators are needed only for stopping spam, no legitimate
> posts should be questioned. If we see it is diluting the focus we can
> ask the poster politely not to send such mails.

Of course. I too firmly believe in no moderation, but please remove spammers
promptly, if you dont want to deal with a mess later. Given the wide
audience, you are going to have more than the usual share of rubbish WITH
rules. I wonder what it would be like without any.

> I have started a wiki page http://fosscomm.in/Posting_Guidelines
>
> Lets not just copy the rules from some lists, but gradually come up
> with what is absolutely required to keep the list in a good mood
> without diluting the agenda.
>
> So first issue is about sharing news. What should be our guidelines
> about sharing news?

Already sent a mail earlier.

> This was one such example. I don't think it was
> spam nor the poster needs to be moderated.

It was spam, most likely using bots. I got two of them on my personal id. The
same was posted on ilug-bom. And there was no input whatsoever from the
poster. And the icing, the entire article posted verbatim, again to the list,
ilug-bom and my mail id. IMO the post was to score page hits in an attempt to
push up page ranking. A Regular trick whenever certain monopolies are going
to be badly affected.

As i said earlier, I (and most likely everyone on the list) am forced to
follow links, given the nature of this list. The op new perfectly well what
they were doing.

--
Rgds
JTD