[fosscomm] Chrome OS Could Offend the Open Source Community

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 19:38:26 PDT 2009

2009/7/13 Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org>:
> On Monday 13 Jul 2009 3:57:04 pm jtd wrote:
>> On Monday 13 July 2009, Aishwarya Madineni wrote:
>> > ITforChange.net
>>
>> List moderator could you ban this spammer.
>
> +1

I don't believe this post needs such responses. At the best it dilutes
our focus, and that brings me to the need of a posting guidelines for
our list. With suggestions from many in earlier posts about being
inclusive I would propose much less strict rules from a typical user
group rules. I would want it to be guidelines and not rule - we can
remind one or two times, but that alone should not be reasons to ban.
Also considering many are new to mailing lists, I pospose we let
people make more mistakes for members new to list.

I believe moderators are needed only for stopping spam, no legitimate
posts should be questioned. If we see it is diluting the focus we can
ask the poster politely not to send such mails.

I have started a wiki page http://fosscomm.in/Posting_Guidelines

Lets not just copy the rules from some lists, but gradually come up
with what is absolutely required to keep the list in a good mood
without diluting the agenda.

So first issue is about sharing news. What should be our guidelines
about sharing news? This was one such example. I don't think it was
spam nor the poster needs to be moderated.

Looking forward to comments.

- Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍