[fosscomm] Covering letter to FOSSCOMM position - for comments

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 12:49:03 PDT 2009

2009/7/12 Guru गुरु <guru at itforchange.net>:
> multiple standards and royalty encumbered standards in the draft policy. We

Can we use patent encumbered here? I believe copyrights are not an
issue here for standards as such. Trademarks does not block Free
Software implementations - Java (before it became Free Software) is an
example. Morover trademarks itself are not a threat to Free Software.
Patents are the great threat and we have to highlight that. Also it
would make our arguments clearer, royalty here is used similar to
intellectual property to refer to all three restrictions, whereas we
are clearly interested in only one of those.

- Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
(as seen on /.)