[fosscomm] Covering letter to FOSSCOMM position - for comments

Kishore Bhargava kishore at linkaxis.com
Sun Jul 12 07:00:04 PDT 2009

Raj Mathur wrote:
> On Sunday 12 Jul 2009, Guru गुरु wrote:
>> Friends,
>>
>> I am providing the covering letter to DIT that will be sent along
>> with FOSSCOMM position to DIT tomorrow. I request your comments on
>> this covering letter by noon tomorrow and propose to email/fax the
>> letter and the position statement to DIT by afternoon.
>
> Looks good.  Have added to the wiki at:
>
> http://fosscomm.in/Open-Standards-Covering-Letter-DIT
>
> so we can all make changes.
>
> As an aside, shouldn't we list out all the organisations who support our
> position paper?  Having a couple of dozen organisation names would carry
> more weight than just 3 names of (relative) non-entities (with apologies
> in advance to the other two people involved :)
>
>> When we send this letter, we need to give a physical address to which
>> Govt can reply mail if they want to. Can Raj (or any of the 3) give
>> his address for this purpose?
>
> If the ILUGD people don't object, you can use the ILUGD address (which
> also happens to be my residence):
>
> c/o India Linux Users' Group, Delhi
> BB/3G DDA Flats
> Munirka
> New Delhi 110067
>
> We should also provide e-mail contact information, for which I suggest
> we use the list address (as long as our admin is on his toes and clears
> legitimate mails from unsubscribed posters promptly we shouldn't have
> any issues there).
>
> Regards,
>
> -- Raj

Adding to what Raj is saying here, I think it is important to list the
organisations that are members of FOSSCOMM. While we continue to debate
the structure etc, we will need at least this to create a better
position for FOSSCOM.

In fact, I think we should do a membership drive for organisations. I am
assuming that FOSSCOMM will only be a network or group of FOSS
organisations and not individuals. At this stage, I guess we are ready
only for listing the interested organisations. A membership fee can be
decided once we have a formal/legal body.

Cheers...Kishore