[fosscomm] FOSSCOMM structure - short term and long term

prabir prabirp at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 21:13:53 PDT 2009

2009/7/12 Guru गुरु <guru at itforchange.net>:
> Friends
>
> Sajan has begun discussions on an issue that many of us are keen to get some
> hold on.
>
> One of the discomforts of having FOSSCOMM represented on the open standards
> issue was that we dont have a structure of any kind, which is critical for
> policy advocacy as well for other work.
>
> At the same time, this is a complex issue that will not get completely
> settled quickly. Hence I think we should discuss the issue looking at both
> short term imperatives (what we need urgently for FOSSCOMM to be able to be
> active inter alia do proactive work  on policy aspects) and long term
> possibilities and aspirations (the ideal structures and processes that we
> would like FOSSCOMM to move towards)

I think that it is too early to think of a legal structure. We need to
build trust, work together etc., for some time to before we talk about
it.

> My own suggestions
>
> For the short term, look at creating 'working groups' on identified issues
> where people can volunteer. We did a similar process at Bangalore , where we
> identified different activities and interested individuals/organizations got
> together. The difference here is that these working groups will create
> positions and represent on behalf of FOSSCOMM, so we need to have some kind
> of support from the larger group/plenary for the working group activities
>
> To support working groups, we should try and have one full time person -
> this can enhance our capacities which is otherwise fully voluntary and pro
> bone. Issues as where the person will sit, who will compensate etc need to
> be discussed
Suggest a simpler mechanism. For a specific issue, can create working
groups. This was roughly the consensus in Bangalore and Delhi (correct
me if I am wrong). Each working group can decide on their temporary
point person(s) and an office. Enough organistions are there who will
allow hosting facilities. Eg., IT for Change for Education, CIS for
legal issues, etc. Who runs temporarily for each working group the
temporary office would be decided by the group itself. They can even
have their own mailing lists :). That way no central office is
required right now. I think any centre at this point is premature and
lead to flaming wars!.

> in the long run, a society kind of structure (easiest to create, widest and
> most democratic possibilities) would be useful. where the general body of
> FOSSCOMM members can chose their executive committee/office bearers.
Guru, we cannot decide who will represent us in one meeting to which
we have not yet been invited and u want to have a Exec com etc! Have a
heart!

> Best,
Prabir