Sunil Abraham sunil at cis-india.org
Sat Jul 11 09:53:23 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 20:47 +0530, prabir wrote:
> 2009/7/11 Raj Mathur <raju at linux-delhi.org>:
> > On Saturday 11 Jul 2009, Anivar Aravind wrote:
> >> [snip]
> >> I think you need to read Raj's response again. As I pointed before
> >> Raj's fear was  he is not diplomatic to represent,  most of the
> users
> >> said  he is the best. Does anyone have any issues with Raj, who got
> >> maximum support from this group. Raj, Please confirm again to
> reduce
> >> the doubts
> The issue here is not maximum support - FOSSCOMM should not be seen as
> a minority majority vote but how to maximise our unity and trying to
> build consensus.

+1

As Shishir Jhai from IIT-B says "Voting indicates the collapse of
conversation." I would rather abstain when this happens. I always prefer
decision-making via consensus. My vote has been mis-characterised in the
tally - I had said - "Regarding Andrew - I have absolute faith and
confidence in him. It is highly unlikely that CIS (or I) would disagree
with any of his policy positions. As with all the other senior people in
the Delhi FOSS community including Prabir."  That is a general vote for
all the senior FOSS people in Delhi. And not only for Andrew.

Maybe we should stop focusing on who - and start focusing on what. Can
we clarify our position/message on various matters such as open standard
etc. Once a position/message has been made public on the wiki - then who
cares which specific person in the community delivers the
position/message to a particular audience.

This is what I meant when I brought up Al Qaeda - they have no operating
manuals and no crippling bureaucracy. No squabbling on public mailing
lists so that your opponents know how divided you are. Instead, clarity
of purpose; small sleeper cells across a geography; and strike when the
iron is hot.

Cheers. S