renuka prasad renukaprasadb at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 09:46:18 PDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 9:40 PM, sajan venniyoor <venniyoor at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 8:47 PM, prabir <prabirp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The problem right now is that we are getting bogged down in
>> who will represent us in this one issue of open standards one time,
>> and losing sight of what we need to do to be heard and called into
>> such bodies. That I am afraid will mean entering the real world, which
>> is much worse than the virtual world.
>

> What it boils down to is that we need a representative body for the FOSS
> community. I understand that this is anathema to many in the community, but
> that's how the real world seems to work. There are at least four -- perhaps
> more -- ways in which an umbrella organization could be set up:
> 1. A Society -- a not-for-profit organization under the Indian Societies
> Act, 1860. (Both Nasscom and MAIT are registered as such)
> 2. A Trust -- a public charitable trust
> 3. A Section 25 Company (god forbid)
> or
> 4. A non-registered network of the sort we have now. The Narmada Bachao
> Andolan, I'm told, is such a network.

i feel
A non registered network for atleast few years would be  a real test to know
who are contributing in what way and later after if consensus is there we
can have a representative, otherwise each individual/organization/group can
come together and represent according to the topic/issue that is being
addressed

> For various reasons, we should seriously consider registering FOSSCOMM as a
> Society. 'To be heard and called', as Prabir puts it,  into consultative
> committees and such, we need to be a registered body or legal entity, as
> governments like to call it. An executive body or nodal person is required
> to deal with governments and other representative bodies, and we would need
> at the very least  a telephone number, a fax number, a mail id and a mailing
> address. The contact person is not necessarily the one who actually attends
> these meetings -- that's for the governing body or the collective wisdom of
> the community to decide (though collective wisdom, as we have seen, can take
> a long time coming).

freedom fight can happen in many different ways

> It is not necessary that the representative body actually represents
> everyone in the FOSS community. It is very unlikely that it would do so. But
> whether we have universal consensus or simply a majority view on any issue,
> we would still need an agency to put forward that view.

looking at the deliberations, some how i doubt that there would be any
consensus at any point in time will be there

> Also, as we have seen with the issue of flying Nagarjuna to Delhi to
> represent us, that sort of thing simply cannot depend on the generosity of
> individuals. We need institutional mechanisms. Otherwise, we will
> continually be forced to pick 'someone from Delhi' to do the job, and what
> begins as a convenience could soon evolve into a tradition and thence into a
> rule.

some way has to be found where atleast few have to be there to represent