[fosscomm] DEADLINE for FOSSCOM position on Draft Policy: 10.00 AM July July 9th.

narendra sisodiya narendra.sisodiya at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 09:38:14 PDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Pranesh Prakash <pranesh at cis-india.org>wrote:

> Those patents sputtered all the way to their collective grave, and
> hence GIF is now patent-free and royalty-free.
>
> "The Unisys patent expired on 20 June 2003 in the USA, in Europe it
> expired on 18 June 2004, in Japan the patent expired on 20 June 2004
> and in Canada it expired on 7 July 2004. The U.S. IBM patent expired
> 11 August 2006, The Software Freedom Law Center says that after 1
> October 2006, there will be no significant patent claims interfering
> with employment of the GIF format."
>
> > This does not of course answer your question. But once we accept
> > multiple standards, this would be the thin end of the wedge.
>
> My question is also about how "domain" is/should be defined.
>
> --
> Pranesh Prakash
> Programme Manager
> Centre for Internet and Society
> W: http://cis-india.org | T: +91 80 40926283

If this is the case, then it does not matter* you choose any one of GIF or
PNG. Select which is the best suited for image !!
btw, What Open Document Format suggest for images for internal purpose ??
This also be included in decision criteria !!
* - assuming the condition that both are open standard, patent free and
royalty free
--
│    Narendra Sisodiya ( नरेन्द्र सिसोदिया )