[fosscomm] DEADLINE for FOSSCOM position on Draft Policy: 10.00 AM July July 9th.

prabir prabirp at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 08:55:04 PDT 2009

2009/7/11 Pranesh Prakash <pranesh at cis-india.org>:
> On Friday 10 July 2009 01:34 AM, Praveen A wrote:
>> 2009/7/9 Raj Mathur <raju at linux-delhi.org>:
>>> Fair enough -- I'd added that assuming that multiple standards were a
>>> requirement in some domain(s).  If that's not the case, then the
>>> statement is invalidated.
>>
>> OK. I have removed that part from the statement.
>
> Does this mean that the government can't allow for concurrent use of ODG
> and SVG (vector graphics) or of GIF and PNG (raster graphics)?  GIF has
> its advantages over PNG in certain circumstances, while PNG is better
> than GIF in other situations.  Both are royalty-free open standards.
>
> Could someone please clarify?

Pranesh,

I always thought that GIF used LZW compression, which was patented by
Unisys. Unisys collected license fees from all companies commercially
implementing GIF. Always gave this as an example of how patents harm
the software industry -- Unisys claimed royalties and license fees
after 7 years of its use and becoming popular. Has this position
changed?
This does not of course answer your question. But once we accept
multiple standards, this would be the thin end of the wedge.
Prabir