Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 04:52:51 PDT 2009

2009/7/11 Guru गुरु <guru at itforchange.net>:
> Dear Nagarjuna,
>
> I take your point that we should maximise our communications on the
> mailing list, without making that a rule. Email has several advantages
> including most importantly, transparency.
>
> I think you have also made a very important point on the FOSSCOMM "entry
> ticket" - the number of FOSS enthusiasts like us will be in few lakhs in
> India, however our vision in FOSSCOMM is really the adoption of FOSS by the
> entire country, by each of the 1 billion + people. Which means we need to
> move out of our current modes of comfort/communications to reach out to
> others and this requires we make every effort to speak their language and
> create situations of comfort for them to participate in FOSSCOMM.

> (I will like to draw an analogy to our freedom struggle. In the pre- Gandhi
> era, the INC was a small group of well meaning highly educated people who
> did not connect to rest of India. Their efforts did not bother the British.
> Gandhi's primary contribution to the freedom struggle was to make 'Freedom'
> meaningful and relevant to the illiterate/starving millions. This process is
> what chased the British out, which would not have resulted from the well
> meaning eforts of the small group.

> FOSSCOMM will succeed if it can make 'free software' a meaningful idea to
> people who currently have no idea or interest about GNU/Linux as a piece of
> software! And that means we need to put energies towards political
> mobilization or 'social engineering' as you term it)

Yes. Thats the was challenge in front of all of us.  totally agreeing
with you. I hope you are talking about FOSSCOMM mission and not about
internal communications in FOSSCOMM .
I believe, We all are working on the mission, even before fosscomm and
 helping to create that environment, that resulted on this stage.

Anivar Aravind