Mohit Singh gmohitsingh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 16:46:03 PDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 3:00 AM, Praveen A <pravi.a at gmail.com> wrote:

> Our goal is not to be a better NASSCOM, but be different.

Is it so? I think there lies the seed of the approach we are entrapped in!
We want to be 'different' and not 'better'!

This reminds me of the 'MAGGI Hot and Sweet Tomato Ketchup Ad - Its
different'. Kindly state the 'difference' and how is it 'better' than
better!

> What NASSCOM
> represents is different from what FOSSCOMM represents. Our
> representations should project our ways of working.

Here too I feel we are trying to be 'different' but not better

> If we don't have a representative for FOSSCOMM, we can still support others
> who work on
> the issue. For some people the representation may be the most
> important, but for the community the issues are important.

Kindly imagine a meeting of Ministry of IT officials with IT industry.
NASSCOM and MAIT send their 'representatives' - who will represent FOSSCOMM
there?

Or FOSSCOMM is supposed to be present as BIGG BROTHER / BIGG BOSS, who is
present but not visible?

> If you look at FOSSCOMM representation as a mandate to rule over the
> FOSS community, then you are wrong. We don't want leaders here, but
> representatives in the true spirit.

Oh! I do believe that I did not mention the need for the leadership to
follow Stalin, Castro and Saddam.
I compared the scenario with that of 1940 because FOSSCOMM has to be intact
like Hindustan sans partition.

I told this and I am speaking again - the Redmond Codelifter has started
doing 'Open Source' and Oracle is ready with 'Shared Source'. They can send
their representatives to FOSSCOMM anytime now.

Are we ready to face this situation? If yes, kindly state our policy for the
same.

Mohit Singh