Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 14:30:53 PDT 2009

2009/7/10 Mohit Singh <gmohitsingh at gmail.com>:

> We all believe that FOSSCOMM needs a face at least like Late Dewang Mehta of
> NASSCOM. Can we consider the process of face finalization on the lines of
> NASSCOM (Or even better)?

Our goal is not to be a better NASSCOM, but be different. What NASSCOM
represents is different from what FOSSCOMM represents. Our
representations should project our ways of working.

> It seems to me that we are implicitly approaching an electoral like scenario
> within FOSSCOMM (a recent mail summarized the suggestions on names and that
> may trigger a number issue also)

It based on their past work on the issues and the trust of the community.

> Cant we adopt a structure of confidence rather than a seemingly number
> 'game'? We all may have 'favorites' but a consensus move need be initiated
> explicitly so that no implicit process may trigger forking within FOSSCOMM.

I thought we have a consensus, and many have expressed it as well. We
are still waiting for some persons to accept or reject the
representative position. Some suggested persons already did it.

> Its important to see how we reach the 'face finalization' in FOSSCOMM. Our
> national leaders failed and our nation was divided due to the same scenario.
> I just hope that we learn from the history of public representation puzzle
> of 'Hindustan' of 1940.

I think that is the least important for FOSSCOMM. If we don't have a
representative for FOSSCOMM, we can still support others who work on
the issue. For some people the representation may be the most
important, but for the community the issues are important.

If you look at FOSSCOMM representation as a mandate to rule over the
FOSS community, then you are wrong. We don't want leaders here, but
representatives in the true spirit.

- Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍