[fosscomm] DEADLINE for FOSSCOM position on Draft Policy: 10.00 AM July July 9th.

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 14:14:27 PDT 2009

2009/7/9 Praveen A <pravi.a at gmail.com>:
> The intention was to offer ideas as to what can be done if we are in a
> situation where only thing that preventing the adoption of a standard
> is royalties (the argument raised by NASSCOMM).

I think we need to strengthen our arguments to keep royalty free
standards as mandatory and not allow RAND terms for royaltees.

This is what I wrote for our feedback on behalf of plus.
+++
The Second meeting of the Apex Body on Standards for eGovernance held
on 17th June 2009 introduces "Royalty Free / RAND Standard" standards.
We believe it will severely affect our ability to exchange information
with the Goverment. Paying royalties are not only incompatible with
Free/Open Source Software but it is practically impossible to
implement. Free/Open Source Software are not developed/distributed by
a single entity and it is not possible to track every copy of
Free/Open Source Software, even if payment of royalties is desired.
Even Microsoft has realised this with their recent announcement of
Community Promise for The ECMA C# and CLI Standards and earlier Open
Specification Promise for many of their specifications. We strongly
request the Government of India not to accept these provisions as it
would make it impossible for Free/Open Source implementations of any
standard.

http://lists.sarovar.org/pipermail/plus-discuss/2009-July/000891.html

May be we could use a different wording, but inability of FOSS to
implement royalty payment required standards needs to be highlighted.

- Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
(as seen on /.)