[fosscomm] DEADLINE for FOSSCOM position on Draft Policy: 10.00 AM July July 9th.

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 01:06:16 PDT 2009

2009/7/8 Guru गुरु <guru at itforchange.net>:
> 1. I agree with Pravin's editing help and substantive inputs from all, to
> put the FOSSCOMM statement out to Govt etc over next few days (traveling
> today but will be back tom morning)

"More than one standard in a domain must be deprecated strongly and
convincing technical reasons must be provided before implementation of
dual or multiple standards is considered."

I suggest we remove this sentence as it considerably weakens our stand
- "convincing technical reasons" would provide a loop hole for
introducing multiple standards.

Also I think mentioning of China's efforts to introduce compulsory
licensing for patents in standards would add to the argument against
allowing patent encumbered standards. It shows we are going in the
opposite direction by allowing standards without a royalty free patent
grant in the policy as opposed to China's efforts to compulsorily
license any patents in a standard.

In case a critical standard needs a patent license for implementation,
India should consider compulsory licensing in the national interest as
a way of using a particular standard.

- Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍