Gora Mohanty gora at srijan.in
Wed Jul 8 22:44:54 PDT 2009

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 07:24:42 +0530
Raj Mathur <raju at linux-delhi.org> wrote:
[...]
> Rather than I (who don't hold a formal position in ILUGD any
> more), I'd recommend Andrew, Gora and Kishore to represent
> FOSSCOMM in case the old guard is not available for whatever
> reason.  All three are clued regarding the issues with FOSS and
> open standards, articulate, committed to the principles of
> freedom and openness and, most important, have the ability to put
> their points across with tact and diplomacy, two words that don't
> exist in my dictionary :)
>
> Gora, Kishore, Andrew: please indicate if you're willing to pick
> up the ball and run with it.
[...]

Wow, the flurry of messages on this is certainly a good indication
that people are interested in this issue, and FOSSCOMM. Let us try
to keep this going.

On the issue of representing FOSSCOMM to Delhi policy makers, I
think that the best bet would be Andrew (who has been suspiciously
silent, but we can go ahead and volunteer him any way):
  o Demonstrated commitment to FOSS and open standards
  o The JNU cachet, and he also looks the type :-)
I would be glad to help out, but as I have said before, I would
rather that the limited time I have nowadays for FOSS goes into
actual implementation. I suspect that Kishore will also be pressed
for time. In any case, between all the FOSS people in Delhi whose
names have come up, let us take it for granted that someone will
always be available.

For the record, I would say that political affiliation should be
irrelevant in FOSSCOMM. We cannot control the perceptions of
outsiders, but when it comes to representing FOSSCOMM, it should
not be an issue that the person in question might be perceived as
having a certain affiliation.

Regards,
Gora