[fosscomm] DEADLINE for FOSSCOM position on Draft Policy: 10.00 AM July July 9th.

Guru गुरु guru at itforchange.net
Wed Jul 8 18:09:53 PDT 2009

Dear friends,

I went through all the mails.

1. I agree with Pravin's editing help and substantive inputs from all,
to put the FOSSCOMM statement out to Govt etc over next few days
(traveling today but will be back tom morning)

2. I am fine with Nagarjuna's suggestion that Raj and/or Andrew should
represent FOSSCOMM in the apex committee etc.

regards,
Guru

prabir wrote:
> Dear All,
> I must say the flurry of emails and responses on the issue of open
> standards is impressive. It does show that there is a real interest in
> working together, whatever the views people may have about the form. I
> am flagging three issues below:
> 1) Consensus on the position on Open standards policy. I really think
> this is where everybody seems to have agreed and can distill out a
> common position from with what Jaijit has put up in the wiki. I suggest
> that Guru takes the initiative to derive a common position. This can
> then be circulated for organisations to sign on, pending a consensus on
> organisational forms. Guru can then send it to the three parties -- MIT,
> NASSCOM, MAIT.
>
> 2) There is a partial consesensus that we can be a loose network (not
> legal and without any defined structure) at present. However, this
> should work only on issues that we have a consensus on within  the
> network. In this case, if we agree via wiki above on open standards,
> then that is one issue on which the network has a consensus and we can
> -- if people agree -- call this a FOSSCOMM position. This does not mean
> that the network or any body on behalf of the network can speak on any
> other matter or represent herself/himself as speaking on behalf of
> FOSSCOMM.
>
> 3) The even thornier matter of representation. Let us be clear that
> nobody or organisation can represent FOSSCOMM as a whole. There is no
> agreement on this. Only if there is a specific agreement on the issue
> within the body as in 2 above (Consensus) can we -- again through
> consensus -- agree that somebody or organisation reresents us if this is
> required. This should be done on an issue to issue and occasion to
> occasion basis. At present, as we have a consensus on open standards,
> and it is required to talk to the Government on our behalf. we can have
> somebody represent us (of course subject to limits stated here).
>
> On the names for representing us on this issue of open standards. I have
> an observation to make first on Jaijit's proposal suggesting that I
> represent FOSSCOMM on this issue.  Must confess that I do not think I
> know enough on this and am quite happy to propose the alternative as
> Prof. Andrew Lynn from JNU on this. However, the argument of my being
> with CPIM and therefore not "eligible", as Arun puts it, is completely
> extranneous -- political affliation should neither be a  criterion for
> nor against in FOSSCOMM. The only test in FOSSCOMM should be what is the
> stand of the organisation or the individual on specific FOSSCOMM issues.
> Politics, caste, religion, language, ethnicity, etc., are not the basis
> of FOSSCOMM -- these are all exclusionary or divisive principles. By the
> way, I do not know Andrew's political affliation, if any!
> By the way Sunil, the World Social Forum is a much better example then
> Al Quaeda for organisational form!
> [...]

Gurumurthy Kasinathan
IT for Change
Tel:98454 37730
www.ITforChange.net
http://Public-Software.in
http://India.IS-Watch.net
http://IS-Watch.net
http://content-commons.in
*IT for Change is an NGO in Special Consultative Status with United
Nations’ Economic and Social Council*