[fosscomm] Help required to form FOSSCOM as an alternate Industry and Civil Society body to NASSCOM

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Venkatesh Hariharan<venkyh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Both Jaijit and I have basically said the same thing. That including
> royalty-based standards and multiple standards for the same domain
> will lead to virtually scuttling the open standards policy.
>
> "Multiple standards" is like saying, "Drivers have the right to choose
> which side of the road they drive on." Using royalty-based standards
> is like saying, "I agree to pay a few paise in royalties for using a
> standard (weights) every time I buy vegetables from the market."
>
> Both our letters are online and on this list. My blog post on this is at:
>
> http://osindia.blogspot.com/2009/07/last-minute-dramas-around-around-open.html
>
> We can send a reworded draft keeping the social justice and equity
> aspects to the government. However, I am not sure if we can get a seat
> on this table at this late stage.

I'd request a couple of things:

[1] A single page along with a download-ready and print-ready version
of the FOSSCOM stance on this issue. I realize that it might be
difficult given the legal existence of FOSSCOM. However, it is good to
have this

[2] Download-ready and, print-ready versions of all the mails sent by
companies till now linked from the FOSSCOM wiki

[3] A statement for the media which can be referenced along with any
press contacts

[4] A synchronized way to blog/micro-blog this so as to garner a
substantial number of support

If the ODF fight did teach something it was it is never too much to
talk about the issue when you know you are right.