[fosscomm] Help required to form FOSSCOM as an alternate Industry and Civil Society body to NASSCOM

Venkatesh Hariharan venkyh at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 03:02:37 PDT 2009

2009/7/8 Guru गुरु <guru at itforchange.net>:
> I would like to request Jaijit/Venky, since they have played a key role
> historically on this issue, to 'sum up' FOSSCOMM position as they see it
> and share with the list.
>
> That can be the basis for evolving the position that they can represent
> FOSSCOMM on the apex committee.
>
> In addition there was another specific proposal that we should seek the
> membership of FOSSCOMM in the Apex Committee itself.
>
> regards,
> Guru

Both Jaijit and I have basically said the same thing. That including
royalty-based standards and multiple standards for the same domain
will lead to virtually scuttling the open standards policy.

"Multiple standards" is like saying, "Drivers have the right to choose
which side of the road they drive on." Using royalty-based standards
is like saying, "I agree to pay a few paise in royalties for using a
standard (weights) every time I buy vegetables from the market."

Both our letters are online and on this list. My blog post on this is at:

http://osindia.blogspot.com/2009/07/last-minute-dramas-around-around-open.html

We can send a reworded draft keeping the social justice and equity
aspects to the government. However, I am not sure if we can get a seat
on this table at this late stage.

Venky