[fosscomm] Help required to form FOSSCOM as an alternate Industry and Civil Society body to NASSCOM

Guru गुरु guru at itforchange.net
Tue Jul 7 23:34:33 PDT 2009

Dear Sunil,

While your point about letting common positions evolve is generically
valid, in this specific case, there is a clear urgency here to
supporting a policy document that seeks to establish open standards in
the eGovernance space.

In my view this is a clear core FOSSCOMM issue/activity. This was also
the consensus in the Delhi meeting and if anyone has reservations,
request them to share their thoughts. I see several mails on the list
supporting the draft policy (including of course from CIS as well) and
seeking its formal release by GOI.

Earlier mails on this list provide the documents and the background
information and I am not repeating the same here.

I am sure we will all agree that getting this policy released in its
current draft will provide a very huge thrust to FOSS adoption in India
and conversely, if the policy accepts multiple standards, it will be a
very significant loss to FOSS. Hence we need to get our individual and
collective energies into this issue.

Given the urgency and criticality, I propose that on this specific
issue (supporting the release of the draft policy by the DIT),
1. We apply for membership of the Apex committee as FOSSCOMM and
2. We should request Jaijit and Venky (and any other person keen to
participate in this activity) to represent FOSSCOMM in the Apex
Committee
so that we can counter the NASSCOM position effectively.

thanks and regards
Guru

Sunil Abraham wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 09:24 +0530, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
>>> I agree with Raj. FOSSCOMM should make clear representation on this issue.
>> ahem - what happened to the CMP?
>
> For me the Indian/global FOSS movement was more Al Qaeda than Indian
> political coalition. It might be easier for us to act first as
> individuals (under the FOSSCOMM banner) and claim/disclaim collective
> responsibility later on our public wiki.

Gurumurthy Kasinathan
IT for Change
Tel:98454 37730
www.ITforChange.net
http://Public-Software.in
http://India.IS-Watch.net
http://IS-Watch.net
http://content-commons.in
*IT for Change is an NGO in Special Consultative Status with United
Nations’ Economic and Social Council*