[fosscomm] India's Draft Policy on Open Standards for eGovernance : Review Comments and Last Minute Drama

Raj Mathur raju at linux-delhi.org
Mon Jul 6 22:45:23 PDT 2009

On Monday 06 Jul 2009, Pranesh Prakash wrote:
> The latest version (v2) of the draft is available through the
> Fosscomm wiki: <http://fosscomm.in/OpenStandards>.

Having jumped in a bit late into this discussion, could someone please
clarify:

1. What is the date of the 3rd draft on the Wiki?

2. Does it pre-date or post-date the NASSCOM/MAIT intervention in the
standards formulation process?

3. Do we, as consensus, have specific objections to the matter in the
draft?  From what I can see, there are two points of contention:

a. Sec 6.2.2 p4: Relax the Royalty-free terms of the standard in case a
suitable open standard is not found, and

b. Sec 6.4 p5: Permit multiple open standards when the domain requires
it (actually now that I read it, since the additional standards are also
mandated to be open, this is not that much of a problem).

Pranesh had also raised some points in the CIS response, but I'm not
sure about the date of those so, while the points are valid, am
withholding comment.

Finally, are we as a group satisfied if the Third Draft is accepted in
its current form?  In case the NASSCOM/MAIT intervention has any effect,
what are the redressal methods available to us?

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                raju at kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/