[fosscomm] India's Draft Policy on Open Standards for eGovernance : Review Comments and Last Minute Drama

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Mon Jul 6 07:22:09 PDT 2009

vinay ವಿನಯ್ wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> As you may already be aware, DIT released a draft policy on open
> standards for eGovernance-
> http://egovstandards.gov.in/Policy_Open_Std_review

The latest version (v2) of the draft is available through the Fosscomm
wiki: <http://fosscomm.in/OpenStandards>.

> The last date for review comments to be sent is 07 July 2009. Requesting
> members to please review the standards document and send in your
> feedback over the next few days. (the site says the document is closed
> for public review, but actually the last date for review comments is
> July 7, 2009)

Earlier last week, I had written to the Technical Director responsible
for the open standards policy asking her whether a second public
response would be sought on the newer draft (which has not been
published on the e-governance standards portal).  She replied in the
negative.

But since the newer draft is available with us now, I suggest people
should still write in supporting the government's thrust towards open
standards in e-governance and the very progressive policy that has been
drafted, while warning it against giving in to the demands of NASSCOMM
which the pro-FOSS industry people have written about.