[fosscomm] URGENT: Need to lobby with NASSCOM, MAIT and MCIT

Jaijit Bhattacharya jaijit at dms.iitd.ac.in
Mon Jul 6 03:56:08 PDT 2009

Dear All,

Please read the trailing mail.

Microsoft has gone all out to "convince" its partners in NASSCOM and MAIT
to write to NASSCOM and MAIT that they support Royalty based multiple
standards for the Policy on Standards on E-governance.

Only pro-Microsoft entities have replied to these bodies till date.

This will force NASSCOM and MAIT to convey to the government that industry
does not support the current draft of the Policy on e-Governance Standards
and that industry prefers royalty based multiple standards (and hence a
backdoor for Microsoft to enter).

I would request you to send letters/ mails to the following, presenting
your organization's views on the Draft policy that is being forwarded:
1. Chairman NASSCOM at chairman at nasscom.in
2. Chairman MAIT at Vinnie Mehta <vinnie at mait.com>
3. Secretary, Ministry of Communications and Information Technology,
Department of IT, secretary at mit.gov.in
4. To the press

Also, NASSCOM has not formally consulted its members before tabling its
view at the given meetings whose minutes are being forwarded. Please raise
that issue in every mail sent by you and other organizations that believe
in FOSS.

Thanks and regards
Jaijit

> Dear Jaijit,
>
> As you are aware, MAIT is a part of the apex committee of
> the Department of IT for Standards for e-Governance.
>
> 1. Please find attached a copy of the draft policy in this regards.
>
> 2. The DIT has received considerable feedback from the industry on the
standards.

> 3. At the meeting of the apex committee on June 17, 2009 in New Delhi,
the following  two major issues issues arising out of industry
> feedback were flagged:
>
> a. Multiple vs Single standards - MAIT has taken a stand that the  Govt.
should allow for multiplicity in standards subject to their  being
backward and forward complaint and interoperable. (Our stand in  this
case has been a fall out of the earlier debate on OXML vs ODF.)  As
you would observe from the revised draft that the Govt. has
> significantly relaxed its stand and is now considering to allow for
multiplicity of standards at the application level and not at the
interface level.

> b. Royalty Free Standard - While the Govt. policy draft advocates
Royalty free standards,  concern has been expressed by some sections  of
the industry that this could have serious adverse impact on IP and
related commercial issues. Opting for RAND (Reasonable and
> Non-Discriminatory) is a more practical approach. MAIT is yet to firm
its stand on this issue.

> I am writing to you to request you for your inputs  for the following:
>
> 1. The Govt now advocating single standard only at the interface level
- how does this impact the industry, is this an acceptable compromise?

> 2. What should be the MAIT stand on Royalty free standards? Should it
advocate RAND.

> Do kindly let me have your inputs by July 05, 2009. We need to get  back
to the DIT with a consolidated response by July 06, 2009.

--
Sun Microsystems <http://www.sun.com> 	Jaijit Bhattacharya, PhD
Country Director, Government Strategy